The annual summer meeting of the Portuguese Philatelic Society was held on sunday 25th June 2006, on the lawns of the residence of our beloved president, Ms Leslye Dunkley at Avon, Dorset, UK. PPS members from around the world turned up as usual for this great day of fun, good food (always supported by her neighbours), ‘shady philatelic’ deals between members as well as excellent philatelic exhibits. As usual also, the Portuguese India ‘clan’ had their own tent but made sure it mixed with the crowd! A message from the Hon. PPS Secretary:
Yet again we were treated to the bountiful hospitality of our President, Leslye Dunkley, and yet again we were blessed with gorgeous summer weather. After drinks and the usual sumptuous luncheon fare, as well as the traditional wheeling and dealing by the P.I. mafia, we settled down to some excellent displays which, once again, we were able to enjoy al fresco. These were as follows:
- Alun Southwood – Provisional Townmarks 1879 – 1912
- Tom Poynton – Airmails, especially Zeppelins to Cape Verde
- Francis Rodrigues – India – World War I Censor Marks
- Dave Davies – India – 1871-1888
- Maurice Taylor – Madeira – Taxed Bills of Lading
- Steve Washburne – Christmas Cards (Christmas being precisely 6 months away)
- John Dahl – Sebenta/ Queima das Fitas of Coimbra and Porto Universities
The philatelic proceedings were I fear rather truncated due to a certain football match, although we did of course find time to make well-deserved thankyou presentations to Leslye’s faithful band of helpers. Those present, in addition to the displayers referred to above, were our President Leslye Dunkley, Roger Lawson, João Paulo Cota, David McIntyre, Paul Woodness, Ron, Rowan, Oran and Quin van der Holt, and John Swan. It was yet again a memorable afternoon and our warmest thanks go to Leslye for hospitality above and beyond the call of duty.
Pictures courtesy Ron Van der Holt (click on images for enlarged views):
Roger, John and Leslye
Steve and Dave
Alun and audience
Dave, Oran and João Paulo
1. Anticlockwise we have our Hon president, Ms Leslye Dunkley, John Dahl and Roger Lawson having a chat…
2. Dave David (right) receiving the ‘Distinguished Philatelist’ award from ISPP and PPS member Stephen Washburne. This award has been awarded by our US sister society ISPP to Dave for his great philatelic achievements.
3. Alun Southwood presenting his provisional townmarks (1879 – 1912) exhibit.
4. Young Oran Van der Holt, our buddy philatelist and son of our bulletin editor, describing his World Dinossaurs collection to Dave Davis and João Paulo Cota in the ‘Portuguese India tent’….
5. Maurice Taylor explaining his exhibit – along with his ever novel and innovative way of wearing the PPS tie!